As everyone knows, working out is only half the battle; eating properly/healthy is the other half. But really the healthy eating is 80% of the battle with working out being the remaining 20%. So being the fussy eater that I am, my dad has always had difficulty getting me to try new foods and to expand my horizons. So I have taken up the challenge to look through the millions of cook books and choose some recipes that I would be willing to try that I know my dad would love. I have gone through quite a few in many topics: breakfast/light snacks/veggies/fruits/meals/desserts. I have a master list from these books of recipes I want to try and I figured I would follow suit with the Julie & Julia movie as well as one of my new food gurus (who I will tag and link later) and write about what I'm cooking/baking/making and post some pictures so you guys can see what it looked like (fail or success).
So as I mentioned before I have been going through cookbooks recently. Well the other night I decided to cook for my dad and as much as I wanted it to be a one-woman-show, doing everything, I needed an extra set of hands. So my dad acting as sous chef helped out.
The two recipes that I cooked were a Sweet Potato Mash with garlic as the side and the main dish was Chicken with tomato, carrots, garlic and rosemary. I will add the recipe up later (as I am too lazy to go get the book!) and will also add some pictures.
So I started off with the chicken dish because it had so many steps I figured that was the smart thing to do. WRONG! If you are going to do anything with potatoes, ALWAYS start with them because they are very time consuming. In my case, the timing ended up working due to alterations because I was cooking for 2 and not 6 like the recipe served.
I was sooo excited when both meals were in the ovens and all we had to do was wait; which is definitely hard. So fastforward 30 minutes and TADA meal was being served and documented by my fabulous camera. I was very proud, as was my dad. He said that if I wanted to continue to cook he felt no reason to stop me and would help if/when needed so I'm definitely encouraged. It tasted AMAZING!
Then yesterday I finally got around to making the most scrumptious smoothie. I took a couple scoops of strawberry yogourt, 4 strawberries cut in two, a medium banana and a blender. Garnished with another strawberry halve and you're done. It looked and tasted great. Then I baked some oatmeal muffins from the one and only Quaker aha. I brought one to my grandmother at her nursing home when I went for our daily visit and she was so pleased and excited. Dad told her about the meal I cooked the night before and she was praising me as the next best chef in Canada. She is quite adorable.